Thursday, January 4, 2007

Eyes wide open

Well, I just finished working through the Eyes wide Open workbook designed to make me think about a lot of the changes and loss my new little pumpkin will experience when she comes thousands of miles home with me. It is very daunting and so sad. I know it will be happy too. There are so many things I just don't know about the culture in Kyrgyzstan. I have read just about every internet website that pops up on google when you type in Kyrgyzstan - I have even misspelled it on purpose just in case some different websites pop up. The workbook asked questions about holidays and rituals and customs specific to Kyrgyzstan and I still don't have any answers. There is one web site I have not spent enough time on - it is the peace corps website for cultural competency of volunteers training for placement there. I need to call my friend's friends who worked for the peace corp in Bishkek. The workbook made me realize even though my dossier is done I have a lot of work left to do and a lot left to learn. It also reminded me that I am still scared. Scared that I won't be able to give enough and be patient enough to help my new little pumpkin attach and grow and be happy. That is the one thing, really the only thing I want for my kids is for them to be happy. Safe and respectful of others is right up there - but happy is important. I know it is normal for mothers to worry that they are being good mothers - especially working mothers. Somehow that doesn't keep me from worrying about it. I suppose a little bit of fear and worry keeps me motivated!
In any case - I highly recommend this workbook - Eyes Wide Open.

No comments:

Karyn Purvis Insights and Gifts - sharing power