Monday, May 14, 2007

Specialized Baby Home

So, for those of you who have not been there...it is a little baby compound. There are super precious, chubby toddlers toddling in the very colorful playground. There is a baby baby house in the back with 4 little rooms each with 4 or 5 cribs. I took pictures of the crib that Zeb lived in for 2 months. There is a very new building on the side that was built by save the children for a special project they had several years ago that has since finished. It is now a free kindergarten for the children of single moms. Helping single mothers keep their children is our in country facilitator's other job!
The main house is a maze - there different rooms with different groups of kids. There are little cribs and 2 big play areas. There is also the dr.'s office in that building and some offices.

The kids are so happy and I really feel like they are well taken care of. The workers are always holding and playing with the babies. If they aren't being held they are sleeping or are actively playing. There were no babies crying for attention.

Zeb is a little doll. He cuddled up with me the whole time and just kept looking right into my eyes and grabbing for my nose and hair. I held him for 2 hours straight and he finally fell asleep in my arms - at which point I was briskly admonished for not putting him down to sleep.
It was soooo hot here - I was in some light slacks and a lons sleeve (but light wieght) sweater and sweating like pig. Zeb had on full boy footed outfit, shoes, a long sleeve shirt, a jacket, a hat. Halfway through my visit - the doctor added another pair of pants. It is totally out of control!

He moves everything and is very interactive and engaged with people - he localizes sound and is just a little pumpkin. My only concern is that I never actually saw a smile and I busted out my funniest faces. I will have to work on him tomorrow.

I also forgot to bring my adapter so no pictures until Friday - sorry.

I am so sad that I don't get to bring him home this trip. I am also not getting to spend as much time with him as I wanted.

9 comments:

LaJoy Family said...

I am so glad you feel so positive about Zeb, he caught my heart so quickly in that photo!! It will be hard to leave him behind, but at least you can rest easy knowing he is being well cared for and that you'll be coming back soon for him! Enjoy what time you have with him and we will be breathlessly awaiting your next post!

Mala said...

YAY!!!! So glad Zeb is finally in your arms! I'm so excited for you! Thank you so much for the up-to -the-minute postings! You rock! Hope your visits with Zeb continue to go wonderfully and you get your smile. Hmmmm, maybe he's just to hot to smile? LOL!

Jackie said...

I was so glad to see your post. I got such a nice visual of the orphanage. I can't wait to see some pics when you return home. Until your next update...:)

Shea said...

I was impressed with the Baby House in Bishkek... all the caregivers seemed really involved with the kids... I got to spend lunch with Luda and her boys and that was great. The little doctor (with the gold teeth) is a trip!

Can't wait to see pics of Zeb!

Shannon said...

Yay - I'm so happy you're there and loving your little boy! I told you he was cuter in person, right?! Your post has taken me right back to the baby house and the day we first met our little guy! Can't wait to see some pics! Travel safely and oh - hang onto that passport :)

Mom to 2 Angels said...

I'm so happy for you and glad that your meeting with little Zeb went well. I second you on the extreme temperatures. i was sweating there in the dead of winter in the middle of a snow storm. We had our hotel windows open while there was a blizzard outside b/c it was so freakin' hot in there! Our little girl was always sweating, her head was always wet b/c she was so wrapped up. I think it is a belief that they hold about being cold making you ill. Enjoy the rest of your Zebbie time :)

Rhonda said...

I came across your blog today when looking for uniform shop in Birmingham! I was intrigued by your story and adoption process. My husband and I moved to Bham last year and are hoping to adopt in the near future. I hope you enjoy your trip and your cherished time with Zeb!

Kara said...

Hi Michelle! It's so amazing to be able to live vicariously through you. Thank you so much for all the details! Love the details! Zeb sounds sooooo sweet. Enjoy your short time.

Michelle said...

I can't believe I forgot to mention the doctors gold teeth - that was sooooo hysterical!
I am sure I wouldn't smile if I was as bundled up as zeb was - so that might be it. Although he is probablyused to it - he wasn't even sweating! He is going to be freezing when he moves into my airconditioned (probably over a/c'ed) home!

Karyn Purvis Insights and Gifts - sharing power