Saturday, August 11, 2007

Gotcha



Believe it or not.....I brought clothes that were too warm!
The day started with our driver picking us up at the hotel at 10 am. We went to exchange some money so that we could give the gifts to the orphanage workers. Then we picked up 3 cakes - one went to the caregivers in Z's baby room, one went to the doctor's and I am not quite sure where the last one went. It was kind of a blur. Even though our coordinator speaks english - i still don't understand her 100%...I understand her words but sometimes not the actual meaning. I wasn't sure if I was taking Z on Monday or if we were going to take him home on Tuesday. I wasn't sure if I was taking him when I first got there or later. I brought clothes and diapers - but the caregivers wanted to change him and they didn't want to use my diaper so they put his clothes on him without a diaper - then they wanted a second layer of clothes - which I was prepared for....but then my hat was too heavy for him so they put one of the little pink orphanage ones on him. Then we went over to the doctor's office and the doctors immediately took off the second layer of clothes and told me not to give him a bath because he had had a chill earlier in the day - they also thankfully put a diaper on him.
Then I signed the book in the director's office to sign out Z. See the picture above.
Keith took lots of pictures of the baby house and then we left - it was around 11am.
Our driver took us to a baby store where we bought some formula like the kind they use at the baby house and some bottles. We went back to our hotel and chilled out until 130 when we headed to the american embassy to pick up a sealed envelop of stuff for the adoption unit in Kazakhstan.
The embassy seemed very secure - we went through 2 metal detectors. There was also a bullet hole in the window of the outside check point. There was a new woman in the position - whatever position it is that processes whatever it is that needs to be processed in KG! Our coordinator said that sometimes they ask questions before they give you the packet...like when you came for the first visit, when the birthmother relinquished custody etc. She didn't ask us any of that stuff though.
Then we went back to the hotel - it was quite a day.
Next post will be about sightseeing in bishkek and the james bond-esque early morning border crossing!

7 comments:

Jackie said...

Yayyy!! Woo hoo! I have been checking your blog twice a day for an update. Congratulations!! Z looks great and I can't wait to see more pics. I also noticed that sparkly thing on your hand before I read the post....so, more congratulations seem to be in order (and you'll have to fill me in on that one later ;)

I'm glad all went well and I can't wait to see and hear more.

Mom to 2 Angels said...

Congrats on making it home... and the engagement! I can't wait to see more Z pictures.

Sloan said...

Oh Michelle! So wonderful to see you in that room! It brings back memories. I will be thinking of you as you cross the border at 4:00 a.m. It actually turned out to be a really nice experience watching the sun rise and driving through the Kaz countryside!

You're half way there!

Mala said...

CONGRATS!!! Wow, new son, new home, new hubby-to-be!! What do you so in your spare time?
So happy for you. Keep those pictures coming!!!

A Pawn In This Game Called Life said...

congrats on this super awesome, exciting time in your life. Best Wishes to you and your family!
Lori

lara said...

A huge congratulations ,

Mala said...

Hello??? Updates!! We want to see that little cutie finally home!!!!!! I totally understand you must be exhusted, what with the new home, the new job, the new baby and lugging around that giant rock! But we want updates!
Hope all is well and congrats again on EVERYTHING!!!!!!

Karyn Purvis Insights and Gifts - sharing power