Sunday, July 6, 2008

Ben



He looked good right after he was born....now he has the little cpap on. They were thinking about trying him off of it this morning becuase he is oxygenating good ...but evidently he is having a little problem with remembering to breathe so they are keeping it on to stimulate his respiratory drive. I am not really all that familiar with medicine in the NICU....I swear children are like entirely different animals than adults when it comes to medicine...seriously.
Anyway, they are going to get an ultrasound of his brain to make sure there was no bleeding, and they may start him on caffeine to stimulate his respiratory drive. The pros and cons of that are....it doesn't seem like it would matter if I drink my 2 pump mocha while I am pumping breast milk...hurrah! The con is that he has to be off of it for 7 days before he can come home...so that will lengthen his stay here. Oh well. So the sense I get is that he has switched one problem for another and is basically the same as yesterday.
Z has been quite a handfull at the hospital. We didn't have anyone to watch him last night so we packed up the pack and play and set it up in the little sitting area in our suite and he just howled and cried and all around a huge pain last night. I think he could tell we were a little stressed out and the new environment was probably not that soothing....although the suites over here are very nice. Our totally awesome and nice nanny (whose husband is a pediatrics resident) is going to take Z for a couple of hours this afternoon so that Keith and I can actually visit Ben at the same time. That will be nice. My mom is coming into town on Tuesday to help so we can start doing the important things...like moving rooms around and buying all of the nursery stuff we totally don't have....of course and visiting Ben. Keith very optimistically bought some preemie diapers and preemie onesie at the store when he left to get Z yesterday afternoon. I am just not even going to try to plan on when he might come home....that way it will be a pleasant surprise when the nicu dr brings up discharge planning.

8 comments:

Marissa said...

He is beautiful... We Byrne women have gorgeous children. Please keep me updated. After all I am my Mother's daughter and can't help but worry about you and Ben. I love you and am thinking of you always.

Monica said...

Omgosh! Congrats on your little early-bird! I have a friend who just had a almost 34 week baby in March and her baby has done just fine. She spent almost a month in the hospital tho. I hope your little one does even better.
Take care,
Monica

Maria said...

Regardless of coming early, he LOOKS great! You have been so blessed. I can't imagine having another little one in the hospital with you. Prayers are with you on that!! :-) And prayers for Ben that he will get to come home very, very soon!

Maria said...

Regardless of coming early, he LOOKS great! You have been so blessed. I can't imagine having another little one in the hospital with you. Prayers are with you on that!! :-) And prayers for Ben that he will get to come home very, very soon!

Mom to 2 Angels said...

Congrats on the new baby! I agree he looks like a cutie. I'm sure that's a lot for Z to take in and he'll figure it all out in his own time.

Jackie S said...

Congrats to you and your family!! Ben is beautiful. I do hope he can come home very soon :)

Suzanne said...

OMG! You totally had your baby!

I turn my back for a holiday weekend, and look what happens. Wow, 4 lbs. 8 oz. So wee! It must be a little bit like adoption all over again, not being able to bring him home with you RIGHT NOW! How frustrating. I hope his little lungs get on track quickly and that you're all home together very soon.

Congratulations! And welcome, Benjamin!

-Suzanne

Brand New Mama said...

He is adorable! I can't believe you had your baby already! It seems like just yesterday you were showing off your new mini-van along with the big announcement.

Karyn Purvis Insights and Gifts - sharing power