Thursday, September 18, 2008

No real updates

So nothing much is going on around here. I am counting down the days until I am no longer a resident....I have been very miserable at work lately. It is only going to get worse before it gets better...that's for sure. If I were to win a lottery I would quit. This is the first time in my life when that is actually true. If you would have asked me that question last year or two years ago...I would have said that I would not have quit...just taken some time off for a fabulous vacation. Now I would quit and never look back! So 22 months...maybe I will put some sort of count down ticker on my blog to remind myself how much time I have left.

I talked to our coordinator, Karen, yesterday and officially accepted A's referral. We have been talking about names. I know that many, many people think a 5 year old should keep his given first name as his first name, but we are planning on giving him a new first name and keeping his current first name as his middle name. I would love to hear your opinion on the matter either for or against the renaming.

Speaking of opinions, there was a very good comment posted on my blog entry regarding Z's circ.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see no problem with renaming him even if he is 5 yrs old. It will be your child and you can do what you want. Don't let anyone tell you different. I am the Sister-in-law to the Blog writer (Picking up the Pieces)

Julie and John Wright said...

nmWhen I got my som he was 5 and we gave him a choice of a name change as we were changing his last name any ways... he chose a new middle name... I have meet several older children that were excited about changing their name when they get adopted... but they usualy had their "American" name picked out before the parents were in the picture... One friend tried but could not persuade his stuberin little girl who 5 years later will only answer to the new name that SHE chose.... maybe you chould choose a few then give "A" a choice... they tend to grow up there in some ways faster then we give them credit for, and he may already have a new name picked out... and I sure hope you like it..
lol...

LaJoy Family said...

That's exactly what we did with Kenny, if you recall, and Toktogul quickly fell away at HIS chooing for Kenny. I mean it tooks only 2 or 3 weeks and he wanted to cast off that old name to embrace his new name and life. Glad we made Kenny his first name rather than his middle name! Frankly, I LOVED Toktogul and would have liked to keep it, but realized that for him it was a lot more than a mere name...it was a symbol of old life versus new life. Do what feels right to you and don't worry about what many other parents have done! After all, you are a Maverick anyway, our little resident anesthesiologist creative kid adopting baby bearing momma!!! Hahahaha! And darned if I wouldn't love to see a pic of "A".

Tapsalteerie said...

I say do what you want :) With our guys we split the difference, so to speak. Beckett's name is the Americanized version of his KG name and Xander we flat out changed because no one (not even Dandy!) could pronounce his name (he was 4ish and the transition didn't bother him at all).

smileysk8 said...

We changed our daughter's name and she was 5 &1/2 when she came home. Her middle name now was her birth name. It's not that we didn't like her name it's just that when I was pregnant w/ my son I chose the girl's name and my husband the boy's name and he ended up being a boy so he got the boy's name. When we adopted our girl it felt natural to give her the name we would have if she were born to us. Some people say 5 is too old to change names but do what you feel is right instead of what others say is right.

Brand New Mama said...

A friend from work adopted a 7-yr old from Russia and they wanted to change his name from Sergi to Matthew. To help make the transition, they called him Sergi Matthew for the first few weeks and then were finally able to drop the Sergi all together.

Laurel said...

Don't worry about the name change. We recently adopted 3 kids from Ghana. The orphanage had changed the girls names, but kept the 12 year old's name. However, before we even had him home, he asked us to give him a Bible name (probably due to the fact that 5 of his 6 new brothers have Bible names.

Our kids do not want to even be reminded of their African names. They are blessed to have new names to go with their new lives.

Blessings

Laurel
mama of 13

Karyn Purvis Insights and Gifts - sharing power