Thursday, November 13, 2008

Disneyworld

We are planning our first (of many I'm sure) trip to Disneyworld. My friend Ryan is getting married at some point over the weekend we are there. We are going for 9 days and staying at Port Orleans Riverside. Turns out Ryan is staying at that hotel too....it was just a coincidence that we booked rooms at the same hotel...but I am very excited about it. I don't get to hang out with friends very often...not that Keith isn't my friend...of course he is...but I think I get to take Ryan out one night just the girls for a bachelorette party of 2. I am thinking it might be hard to find male strippers in Disneyworld so she may have to settle for something less than that!

I am very excited about going, but I am very guilty and wistfull about how much money we will be spending and the fact that Aaron is sitting in Belovodsk. Seriously, what kind of blankets, fresh veggies and clothing would 9 days at Disneyworld buy for the kids at Belovodsk. Of course, I know that there is nothing I can do about Aaron coming home quicker and certainly not going to Disneyworld is not going to move things along any quicker...but I am a finely tuned sense of maternal guilt for all of my kids. In fact, I even asked our coordinator if we could send items or money to help keep the kids in Belovodsk warmer this winter and she said she would ask and get back to us....but hasn't. So I can't even justify feeling guilty about that.

When Ryan told me she was getting married at Disneyworld - I immediately thought that there is no way we can afford to go. Then I remembered something my dad told me not too long ago. He told me that his biggest regret was not taking more family vacations when we were smaller. I remember when I was in 3rd or 4th grade we sat around the dining table planning a family vacation to Disneyworld...I remember we were going to stay at the Polynesian village...at least that is where I wanted to stay. Unfortunately we never made it. So even though we don't have a lot of extra money....(oh that is rich...extra money...hahaha I have never had extra money!) we are going to Disneyworld.

I have started begging people for their homecall shifts to try to make extra money. We are getting one of the dining options...so for 9 days for 4 kids 2 adults...I need to work about 55 hours of overtime. That isn't including spending money...just the hotel and the included dining. I think that is totally doable before January. I do, by the way, feel very lucky to have the option of homecall to make overtime money. There are very few residency programs where you get paid to work overtime - I am very, very lucky.

3 comments:

tapsalteerie said...

We are trying to get better about the vacation thing. So far we've been on 2 in 9 years (3 if you count getting married). We're awesome at day trips but anything overnight takes so much effort to find someone to feed and watch the animals.

Good luck with the OT... don't wear yourself out! It brings to mind when Jim worked 27 nights in a row... Hellish, but the money was nice.

The Stevens said...

Have a blast in Disney! It will be great as a family to get away and enjoy some time together!!! I agree anesthesia is the bomb, and soon enough you will have many weeks and lots of cash where you do not have to take extra call and can finance and do so much for all the children that sit in orphanages around the world!!! I feel your pain!!!!! I wish i had it all now, but in time, right?

Shannon said...

Good for you guys! I think you'll have a wonderful time! Gotta live for today, right?!

Karyn Purvis Insights and Gifts - sharing power