Saturday, June 13, 2009

Putting yourself out there...

Putting yourself out there.....I use that phrase a lot. Just ask my husband I am always using that phrase. It is about making yourself available so that things can happen to you. It is about NOT staying in your comfort zone...your comfortable job...your comfortable routine.

I was moved to go back to medical school....I had a real job...it was comfortable...hey I had a great matching 401K. I was moved to start an international adoption even though it was completely insane at the time. I put myself out there and I had faith that it was the right thing to do even though it really was incredibly insane. Zeb is such a huge joy and blessing in our lives...if I had been practical...he wouldn't be here with my family. In addition to the awesomeness of being Zeb's mom...I kind of feel like finding Keith has been a reward for those choices I made....medical school and Zeb.

I am a kind of go big or go home kind of person. There are all kinds of ways you can push yourself and put yourself out there. Look at Cindy Lajoy, she has gone into lay ministry which started really with putting herself out there to be a youth leader at her church...it was something she pushed herself out of her comfort zone to do. I know we have all put ourselves out there before...Cindy just writes a really comprehensive blog! John has really put himself out there. He has felt a calling and boy has he listened to it. It can be dangerous to put yourself out there...you don't know how huge an undertaking you might be called on to do. When doors start opening and momentum picks up.....

Now that I am finishing up my residency...and I am going to have more time (hopefully), I want to work on putting myself out there more. I want to know how y'all put yourselves out there...how do you let yourself be used for the benefit of others...to better the world, to improve the lives of others....to improve yourself in the process?

ps.

Aaron turned 6 on Friday and I would have loved to have been able to bake him a cake...maybe a cake in the shape of an airplane...or a rocket. A rocket would have been really cool. Maybe next year.

2 comments:

Julie and John Wright said...

For me, .. I am past the point of denying that I have put myself and my family "Out there"... I just would caution you... to watch out what you ask for... you might just get it... Putting yourself out there comes at great cost... Like I am sure Cindy would attest to , But what I do know is that I would trade it for nothing and if I had more to give, we would put it out there as well. My house needs work, should have been painted two years ago, , the lawns and gardens are not always looked after, the laundry and the dishes are not always done... and we are months behind on our correspondence, we only actually get to see the dinning room table a few times a year, the rest of the time it is piled up with supplies waiting to go overseas. When we do take a holiday, it includes either fundraising trips or trips over sea's.
My girls are torn, living in one world when there hearts desire is in another.... I was once told that if I was truly going to make a difference, I had to be prepared to take everything I had and be prepared to put it on the line... you may not have to give it, but be prepared to if you were called to...
I would say that honestly I am a mess, I likely have a cry 3 or 4 times a day as I continue to work with our friends, Yet at the same time I have never been happier or more content.... every day is an adventure...
as for where do you start... that's the easy part... START BUY DOING WHAT YOU CAN, AND BEFORE YOU KNOW IT YOU WILL BE DOING WHAT OTHERS SAID COULD NOT BE DONE....

Tapsalteerie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Karyn Purvis Insights and Gifts - sharing power