Monday, June 1, 2009

So Sad...


It is the M word. Apparently there is officially a moratorium on adoptions from Kyrgyzstan. Although, no agency really heard about it until a delegation of Kyrgyz officials announced it at a meeting in Washington, DC last weelk. So there will be a pleasant discussion with our children about how Aaron probably isn't going to come home, but that we will always think about him and try to help him in any way we can. Our money is sitting at Adoption Alliance and will stay there forever, probably. The moratorium started in February 2009 and they will decide by February, 2010 whether or not to become Hague. In my opinion, international adoptions are over for Kyrgyzstan for a long time. I am usually an optimist...but with the world how it is today and the increasing difficulty with any international adoption...they are done.
I would like to give UNICEF a great big finger...and not a nice one. I hope they are happy that their grand vision has ensured that hundreds, thousands of children will grow up in institutions without families that could have had families. I would rather pull out my fingernails than support UNICEF. My biggest grudge holding is for my homestudy agency who made us wait to start because they are jerks...if we had started when we got Aaron's referral we would be one of the 65 families who still had hope that our child would come home.
Now that I have had a public temper tantrum...I can take a deep breath. We will still do whatever we can to help him and I will remind myself that all things happen for a reason and when a door shuts a window opens...stay tuned for opening windows.

5 comments:

Brand New Mama said...

This is sad news Michelle. Your public tantrum is warranted! I guess we need to be thankful that we brought our little guys home in the 2 year window that Kyrgyzstan allowed adoptions. Can you use your agency money toward an adoption from another country?

Tapsalteerie said...

I agree with Lori, this is sad news. We had always intended to adopt from KG again, but now?? not so sure that's going to happen. I'm sure there are other avenues and places and things but KG is close to my heart.

I think your tantrum is totally allowed under the official rules of "Momminess"

Bethany said...

Oh no. This is terrible terrible news. I'm so sorry to hear about the program slowing down/closing. I wish I had something more to say, but I'm sure it will take some time to mourn this loss. I'll be following along, and I hope things turn around in your adoption process soon.

Ellie said...

So sorry, Michelle. I can't imagine what you're going through. So sorry for the sweet child who you were ready to welcome into your family, home and heart. That is just a tragedy.

Jeanne said...

"I would like to give UNICEF a great big finger...and not a nice one."

I agree with you there, and have seen firsthand the result of their policies in Guatemala.

I'm sorry you didn't get in under the wire with Aaron. I never got a referral, either. Part of me still holds onto the hope, whether rational or not, that someday the situation in Kyrg. will be better.

Karyn Purvis Insights and Gifts - sharing power