Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Unexpected trips.

When I was in medical school, we had a speaker come that was from a parents alliance for some special need...maybe Down's Syndrome...I can't really remember.

She said that parenting a child with special needs was an unexpected journey.

Imagine you have planned a wonderfull trip to Italy. You have been reading all of the guidebooks, you have mapped out all of the places you want to visit. You have asked around and found out all of the important things to pack. You carefully packed your suitcase, bought your tickets and jumped on the airplane. When the airplane lands....you are in Paris. What the heck...you don't have the tour books, you don't have your French to English Dictionary. You have no idea where the cool shops or hotels are. France is different that Italy...but it is it's own wonderfull trip....just unexpected.

If you can, please pray for a good friend of mine who just found himself and his family on a very unexpected trip. Thank you.

2 comments:

Tapsalteerie said...

It is an unexpected trip... not insurmountable... not impossible... just alittle different than what everyone else does.

I've been asked 1000 times if I'm upset that Sophie's different. Honestly? No. I wouldn't trade her creativity, her joie de vivre, her way of looking at the world and all it's people, for any amount of normal. I had prided myself for living my life "outside of the box" and until Sophie came along I didn't realize how "normal" I had become. Now... well... we truly live each day... and "normal" is just another 4 letter word :)

Shannon said...

Hard thing to do for us control freaks, but so very true!

Karyn Purvis Insights and Gifts - sharing power