Saturday, July 18, 2009
We have officially decided to take another shot at international adoption. I find it very unlikely that anything will happen in the world of Kyrgyzstan adoptions for the rest of this year and into next...so we sent in an application today to an orphanage in Ghana (well the application gets sent to volunteer coordinators in the US actually) for an independent adoption. The orphanage is called Beacon House and there have been a couple of divine coincidences in our decision to adopt from there...which I will go into.....
There is a certain little girl we have in mind at that orphanage, but first we have to be approved by the orphanage director to adopt from Beacon House and then she will decide if this little girl will fit into our family.
You all may remember that we decided we were going to adopt from Ghana like 2 years ago...then we had to wait a year to get an approval from our state ( I hate you Alabama...did I type that out loud..sorry). Then we had Benjamin and decided to go back to Kyrgyzstan...mainly because we love...love...love Saule, our in country facilitator, and we felt very confident in her ethics, we also felt that the care the kids got there was really good and we felt good that any child Saule would refer to us would be a wonderful little kid. We already have a connection to Kyrgyzstan and that would just make homeland travel that much easier! haha.
Then the big M...the shut down and the waiting. Some people have been waiting so long it is ridiculous and they are on the official list. We are not even on the official and can't get on the official list to get our dossier certified....so I believe with my whole heart that we are not going to get through before Kyrgyzstan votes on the Hague and all indications are that they will go Hague. So we will be starting all over from scratch.
I have been perusing the adoption forums - Ukraine, Thailand, Russian, Ethiopia, special needs international adoption, HIV+ adoption...looking at the waiting kids on rainbowkids (there are so many wonderfull kids needing families there!). I have been on the Ghana forum since we initially wanted to adopt from Ghana - 2 years ago so I have been kind of keeping up. I know in the last 2 years other groups have splintered off that I don't have access to....orphanage and agency specific sites - but there was still a huge amount of information on the forum.
One day, when I was particularly thoughtfull on the subject of expanding our family, I saw a post from someone advocating for kids at Beacon House in Ghana on a forum other than the Ghana forum and it seemed very much like a sign.
I mentioned it to another online friend I have and she told me that she has a lot of friends who have adopted from Beacon House and a friend who knows a lot about the little girl we have in mind. What are the chances that a random person I know - albeit in the international adoption community - know multiple families who have adopted from this small independent orphanage in Ghana! People....Ghana adoptions are not hugely common in general...but all from this one orphanage...that is a coincidence.
Then the next day, I got an email from someone in Alabama who had seen my name on a forum about Ghana adoptions and she was asking me if I was still adopting from Ghana because she was starting an independent adoption from Ghana with a different orphanage...but how many people in Alabama have adopted from Ghana...I am thinking not so many. Now I have a local connection with others who are adopting from Ghana (she knows two other families in her church, I think that are also adopting from the same orphanage as she is).
Working in medicine has made me very superstitious and Cindy LaJoy has recently had a great post about Divine Coincidence. I can't believe that all of these coincidences aren't Divine.
Even more miraculous is the fact that Keith is on board..haha. He is very practical and cautious because he wants to be able to take care of us in the manner to which we have become accustomed! He had been a little not-on-board with starting another adoption with the crazy uncertainty of Kyrgyzstan looming over us. He has decided to take this risk and step out on faith...and he is all in so to speak. I love him so much it is ridiculous. Before meeting him I would have told anyone who claimed to be as in love as we are that they were ummm...how shall i put this....crazy and brainwashed. People...all I can say is join E-Harmony!
I digress...what's new!
So our application went off today. We can not adopt from Beacon House until we have been married 2 years which is not until August 26th. We sent it anyway - because the volunteers have to contact our references and check out our story. I will be honest, I have a couple of worries about whether or not we will be approved. Our length of marriage, the number of kids we have already, I am not a stay at home mom, the fact that we sort of have an adoption in progress. Although with the last item, we will change our current homestudy and I600A approval to Ghana so technically it will not be a concurrent adoption...but we will start the process again as soon as Kyrgyzstan reopens and our new daughter is home.
Our Pastor, Jerry, gave me some really good advice a couple of months ago. He said if there is an opportunity you feel like you are supposed to take...you should take it. If it is not what God wants you to do ....He will close the door. There won't be any doubt - He won't close it half-way. If you don't take the risk or take advantage of the opportunity you will never know if you were supposed to do it or not. So...we will wait and see if Beacon House approves our application!
In the meantime...check out the cute pictures I posted today of my boys out and about on the town today. We were very cultural!