Monday, July 20, 2009

Anything but work.....

My mind is swirling from all kinds of things today. Mostly I am reminded how true the addage "ignorance is bliss" really is. My life was so much easier and so simple when I didn't know how many children didn't have families and when I hadn't seen sets of little eyes looking into my eyes looking for someone to hold them and love them.

I would say probably everyone that reads this blog is touched by adoption and by orphaned children in some way...y'all know the statistics..every 18 seconds (or 14 seconds depending on your stats!) another child becomes an orphan. How do you wrap your head around that number.

I have come to a conclusion today...they can not all move into my house. That's right people....I can't adopt them all. We do not have enough bathrooms for 143 million kids to move into our house...even with another set of bunkbeds. So, I guess what I have to do is find a way to get more families to adopt some of them.

Tomorrow, Keith and I are meeting with the Pastor at our church to propose an adoption ministry. We have ordered books, veiwed websites, downloaded videos...there are some amazing churches with amazing people who are totally taking kids out of orphanages one kid at a time and making a difference.

His Kids, Our Homes - among other things finding homes for kids at Beacon House...
Project 127 - A ministry in Colorado that's mission is to find adoptive families for the eligible kids in their local foster care system and then support those families as a community
Here I am Orphan Ministries - I saw a video about this church's ministry and they were so successful raising awareness and interest in adoption..at one point the number of Russian speaking kids outnumbered English speakers in their children's bible classes...this is a small town in Texas
Show Hope - formerly Shoahannah's Hope started by Steven Curtis Chapman...most people in adoption know about his mission to help make adoptions affordable and many adoptive families I know have recieved funding from this organization.
Kingdom Kids - They have a great mission...encourage, educate and equip. How proactive is that?!
From HIV to Home- y'all know how much I love this ministry...paving the way home for kids with HIV.
Saddleback Church - You can always count on Rick Warren to have a take on something biblically based (like caring for orphan's really is!) and you can always count on there being an acronym.
Our Creator's Hope - Started by a couple who wanted to make a difference by helping families finance their adoptions...it is totally DIY and is a great example that anyone with a heart for adoption can do something to help kids get home.

Since, I have finally admitted that I can not adopt all 143 million kids...I suppose I really have to step up and do something about helping some of these kids find homes.

I found a statistic that 80% of people consider or think about adoption at some point in their lives, but only about 2% go through with it. Why is that? What can I do to change those numbers? What stops people from adopting? Awareness, money, family or community support...what exactly is it? So here is what I am thinking....

1. Provide easy access to information, education and make people aware of how awesome adoption is before they even get to the thinking about it stage. Constant and loud pestering...I mean ...awareness and educating at an informal level and at a formal level.

2. Fundraising for a central church fund to grant out to potential adoptive families and help each adoptive family fundraise...although I totally don't do garage sales...I am willing to bet there is someone at Clearbranch that is a garage sale genius.

3. Families that adopt and especially families that foster sometimes need help - how hard is it for a couple to go out with each other for a dinner and a movie if they have 10 kids...ummmmm...yeah they need a couple of volunteer babysitters! It is expensive to foster children and believe me...these families are not making money off of raising these kids. Maybe people who don't feel called to adopt or foster could "adopt" a foster family and help them out...support them with babysitting, taking one or more of the kids shopping for school supplies or a back to school outfit...maybe purchase a membership at the McWayne center or the Zoo for them.

I know a lot about international adoption and I recently met an amazing woman who is very involved with the foster care system here...that sounds like a team to me.

If any of you guys have ministries at your churches or non profits I would love...love...love...love suggestions, weblinks etc.

1 comment:

The Stevens said...

Thank you for the shout out! We have just given our third grant since we have been an organization in 18 months. Truly amazing considering our fund raising has basically been through internet, www.igive.com portals, and word of mouth!!! God is so good and orphans are his priority! So proud of you and your future ministry in adoption! It's time churches wake up and take on the responsibility! If only 7 percent of the 2 billion Christians in the world would care for a single orphan in distress, there would effectively be no more orphans. If everybody would be willing to simply do something to care for one of these precious treasures, I think we would be amazed by just how much we could change the world. We can each do something, whether it is donating time or money, adopting, or supporting others that adopt!

Karyn Purvis Insights and Gifts - sharing power