Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Michael Jackson....the compulsory post..

Being born in the 1970's and having owned a pair of stirrup pants and those pants with zippers...I feel like I have to comment on Michael Jackson's death....actually I will comment on another exciting episode in MJ's life...



When I was in 5th grade, my friend Rose Stanley had a huge crush on Michael Jackson. She had all of his records, every picture ever printed in Bop! magazine, she even had every bubble gum trading card...oh yes....Michael Jackson had collectors cards with bubble gum in them. She LOVED Michael Jackson. One night, our friend Holly Amershak had a slumber party and we were in our sleeping bags watching Night Flight (because there was no MTV where we lived yet)..and they broke into the program to announce that Michael Jackson's hair had caught on fire.....OMG....the come apart that ensued .... a broken hearted, hyperventilating 5th grader ...the wails...the tears...the rest of us were like..."it's OK rose...it will be OK" the drama.....oh the drama.

In the end...she had to call her mom to come pick her up...how could she possibly be at a slumber party having fun when Michael was in the hospital. I kid you not....she wore black everyday for a week and vowed to not smile until she knew that Michael was going to be ok.

I wonder where Rose Stanley is today. I wonder if she is unboxing her Michael Jackson memoribila and thinking about her freakish 5th grade crush. I moved away in 8th grade...and for the life of me I can't remember if she was still all "I love Michael Jackson" when I left.

She was a really, super sweet girl...by the way....just had a weird crush object in the 5th grade.....I mean who in their right mind would choose Michael Jackson over Ricky Schroeder!

11 comments:

Marnie and Jeremy said...

You should look her up on facebook!

Michelle said...

I totally tried today but i couldn't find her!!!

Mala said...

HA!!! That's the first thing I thought, "what? find her on Facebook!" seriously I have found SO MANY people from my past, it's embarrassing.

And perhaps now would be a good time to reach out to dear Rose. If she went ape shit over his 'do going all toast, how do you think she's doing now?

Michelle said...

I googled a couple of different things and found her father's obituary...morbid I know...and found that her new name is Rose Rodriguez and she lives in florida...still no facebook though...i wonder if I am invading her privacy right now?! Anyhow...still no dice.

Mala said...

Two words my friend: legal stalking.
I love Facebook!

Cindy LaJoy said...

Ricky Schroeder...no David Cassidy, now we're talking! hahahaha!

Michelle said...

Oh Cindy...don't think I don't know all of the words to every partridge family song! He was just too old for me...I am a realist...Ricky Schroeder could have shown up at the mall in Pittsburg, Ks and asked me to the movies....it could have happened.

Michelle said...

My legal stalking skills pale in comparison to yours, Mala!

Maria said...

This is the greatest story!! I wish you could have found her on facebook (immediately thought of that too) to see if she was ok now that MJ has died. Maybe she'll google her name and find this post!!

Michelle said...

if only we had digital cameras back in the early 1980's I could post some pictures of her...she had curly permed hair (so did I by the way) and big light brown framed glasses that had pink tinted lenses...there were so many things wrong with the 1980's!

K said...

NO ONE in their right mind would choose MJ over Ricky Shroeder!!!
Gag me with a spoon!

K : )

Karyn Purvis Insights and Gifts - sharing power