Friday, November 27, 2009

I need a camera! and other assorted news...

Yes...if only to take a picture of myself to prove to y'all that I haven't totally disappeared off of the face of the earth! We have been really busy the last 2 weeks.

Our trip to kentucky was awesome. We do have pictures...but they are on Keith's camera which I can never find or figure out how to download. I will be pleasantly requesting a photo download tonight so I can post everything...we have some picture of Kentucky, some pictures of us going on a little family hike at a place in town called "the preserve".

Kentucky was beautiful. We went to Eastern Kentucky - Pikeville to be exact and the drive was very picturesque. Lots of mountains, hills, rivers, trees....a whole lot of fun things to look at as we drove. The town of Pikeville, itself, appears to be everything a small town should be. There are beautiful old buildings downtown that are very well maintained -for the most part. There are also some new buildings that blend in very nicely. There are a lot of parks in town with new playing equipment. There is a small college with an osteopathic medical school attached to it.

I was there looking at a job...it is true...and the hospital was very, very nice. The OR's were in a new part of the building that was built in 2000 and they looked great - they were spacious with new equipment...even electronic charting. The call is basically every 8 days for first call (which is mostly OB stuff) and every 8 days for second call which is to do a heart. They do like 200-ish hearts a year. Everybody was very nice, the pay is very good, and the job itself looks really good. We shall see what happens there! I will keep you posted.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of last Sunday. Last Sunday we had some guests over that had adopted from the Ukraine and from Foster care here in St Clair County. All in all, there were 29 peeps in my house - 9 adults and 20 kids. It was so much fun. All of the games in our basement were being utilized to their fullest potential. Air hockey, stick hockey, skee ball, foosball, and even the playstation were rocking (literally for the playstation and RockBand!). Keith grilled his famous ribs, I made some mashed potatoes (like 10lbs of potatoes) and brownies and every family brought a couple of items. It was sooo much fun. I was so happy to see all of our crap downstairs getting used. I wish I would have taken pictures. Oh well...maybe next time.

Probably the most exciting news is the news I saved for last...we got our referral last Thursday. Beacon house doesn't want lots of info posted on blogs about referrals....but I will say it is a girl and another girl...we will be very Brady bunch...with 3 of each. We have our dossier done...except I noticed on of the 3 originals of the Power of Attorney was stamped and filled out by the notary...but she forgot to sign it. So we couldn't mail it on Monday last week because she was out of town for the holidays. So hopefully we will mail it this monday. Then we wait for a court date.

We would really like to travel in January to visit and meet them for the first time...but we are a little short on the money side. As it stands we are waiting for our dependent childcare refund to pay the first half of our fees and I am afraid it is not going to make it in the 2 week time frame we have to come up with the fees....second to the whole holiday thing. We honestly weren't expecting a referral before we sent in our dossier...so we hadn't stocked up on our money yet! We are hoping it either gets here in time or we win the lottery...which is tough when you live in a state without a lottery!

I will be honest...I am a little worried about travelling. I have not travelled outside of the US a whole lot....like...just to Kyrgyzstan...in fact. So it is a little scary to me. I read blogs and see emails on yahoo forums of people doing it all the time and it seems like they are heading over to Walmart when they talk about it. So I shouldn't be worried and nervous about it....but I am. Guess I have to get over that! I am sure we will go and it will seem totally unreal that we are there and we will somehow survive and our newest bundles of joy will make it home.

When I adopted Zeb...getting the referral was so exciting because to my naive heart...your referral made it home to be your child. Now that I am jaded with my little Aaron sitting over in Belovodsk still...I guess I am a little apprehensive to start buying clothes, planning rooms etc. I am excited..but I am a tad stand offish from the excitement I wish I was feeling.

2 comments:

The Stevens said...

Congrats on your referrals!! I had no idea you were going for 2 girls!!! Whats Beacon house? Gosh I am so behind on all of this.... Congrats on the job interview! I know Huntsville Hospital is looking for MDA. Let me know if interested I can send you the group contact person! I am glad things are moving along for you, I thought you guys were doing some volunteer work program out of the country for two years? when you get some time send me an email and fill me in!

Tapsalteerie said...

Congrats on referral! I'm insanely happy for you! My computer has been down for a few days (Sophie poured water on the keyboard and killed it) so I'm way off my blog reading!

I didn't realize you were doing 2... or maybe I did and I'm just loopy! Either way! Definitely CONGRATS!

Sorry to hear about the money woes... I remember those all too well from the KG days. Will be praying for you all!!

Karyn Purvis Insights and Gifts - sharing power