Friday, January 22, 2010

February 5th!

Thank you all for your prayers! This morning, in Ghana, the lawyers took my little girls to court. However, the judge wouldn't hear the case without us present. So no adoption decree, but we did get a court date of February 5th! Yeah...forward motion. I am so excited to be able to make our travel arrangements!

What to bring, where to stay, how to introduce myself to my new 8 year old daughter! I guess it is too late to lose 15 pounds for all of the millions of pictures we will be taking! oh well...lets hear it for long, loose fitting garments!

I am on home call tonight (because we totally need the money now) but tomorrow I am going to hit the planning hard!

An adoption decree would have been unexpectedly good news...but I am overjoyed at moving forward! I feel really lucky to be able to do this....to be able to have my wonderfull family and add two sweet new babies to my family. There is a little bit of craziness and insanity to this whole process, but I am soooo lucky to be part of it.

6 comments:

Tapsalteerie said...

Congrats! Let the planning begin!

Shannon said...

YAHOOOOOO! I can't wait to "see" you guys in Ghana - virtually, of course.

julievilardo said...

Congrats!!
Been a lurker for a while. Fellow adoptive mom (of an 8year old girl from Kaz- now 10)

Can't say we greeted with a hug. We ended up at the BH before they expected us. We stood outside next to the van while the translator went in to tell them we (along with 2 other families) were there to meet our kids (the other 2 were infants) We spotted our girl playing outside. We got to see her play and have fun with the other kids before she knew anything. We had a bag of toys which we had out and started playing with the group. The frisbie type toy (the ones you can fold up into the size of a change purse) was the favorite. We would throw it and the kids would chase it. Of course we favored who we threw it to. :) We loved that we got to see her real personality. She would take out the boys trying to get the frisbee and could throw it further than anyone. What a tomboy!!!
We got to play for about 30 minutes before we were taken into meet the director etc.. While we were meeting they changed her out of her sweat pants and into your typical Russian dress. We then officially met in a big playroom. I would say she was scared and uncomfortable at that point (We were all there - 3 bio kids, DH, and a friend plus the two other) She was miserable in the dress (but had to wear it for the first 3 days till we said enough and brought her fun clothes for the rest of the visits) If we had not seen her play we would have had the completely wrong image of our girl.

In our bag of goods we had coloring books, beads and nylon string. We stayed busy focusing on those things to avoid the initial awarkdness. We would catch each other glancing back and forth checking each other out while we colored and strung beads into braclets.

Happy to share more if you want.
Again Congrats!!!

Julie
julievilardo @ yahoo . com

bbqdaisy said...

AWESOME that you ARE GOING TO GHANA! I am excited for you to go!!!!!!!!!!
Blessings
Maria

The Blaske Bunch said...

Michelle...SMILING at the "loose" fitting clothing comment...CUTE! I do admit, I have a stash of clothes I wore in Ghana the 7 weeks I was there....and often think of how much I loved the free flow of the skirts and dresses and how easy they are to wear every day")
Excited for you and glad to be along for the ride!
Carrie

Megan, aka LadyofMoonlight said...

Congrats, congrats, congrats!!!!! Fingers crossed for a safe trip and an easy adjustment (as easy as can be, at least). Remember to bring snacks and toys! Both are excellent for bonding :)

Karyn Purvis Insights and Gifts - sharing power