Friday, January 1, 2010

Waakye and tomato gravy

Well...I didn't take any pictures and I have never had it before so I don't know what it is supposed to taste like. But it was pretty good. Keith had seconds and I liked it too....which is saying a lot. The beans ended up being a tad overcooked I think...they were reddish not whitish gray like in the recipe picture. I also ended up adding tomato paste to my gravy - although I think the gravy really would have come out ok if I had had that extra tomato.

It was spicy, but not over the top spicy....likely because i added a small can of tomato sauce. I will try it again.

We also had collared greens, and corn bread....apparently that is also a southern new year's tradition. Here is hoping everyone has a wonderfull new year!

1 comment:

Tapsalteerie said...

I so enjoy your adventures in cooking... mostly because I'm happy to see a busy Mom taking the time to learn!

We had blackeyed peas and collards (very Southern tradition) too... I never did get around to making a cake though...

Karyn Purvis Insights and Gifts - sharing power