Thursday, March 18, 2010

4 weeks 5 days...



I can't believe it has been over a month since we saw our babies in Ghana. We are handling it pretty well.....I truly can't believe it has been so long. Hopefully, we will continue to wait gracefully and patiently.....but not for too much longer!
I don't know if I had blogged about a conversation I had with B while we were in Ghana. We were sitting in the hotel room watching Barbie and the Diamond Castle (the best Barbie movie so far) and she asked me what her new American name was gonig to be. Keith and I had talked about names and decided that we wouldn't plan on changing names...we would add a middle name and leave it up to them.
I told her that we didn't know if she would want a new American name and she was adamant that she wanted a new American name and she wanted us to pick it out. So Keith picked one out...while we were in Ghana. Yes...I let Keith pick out a name. He told B and she loved it. I later picked one for V. So we have new American names for them.
The kids love the new American names. It is hard for keith and I to refer to them by their new American names...and it is going to be weird and somewhat confusing when we switch over to the new names. I know there are lots of reasons to not switch to new names. We have discussed it on more than one occasion...but we are going forth with the new American names.
Alexandra.....Alex for B and Zoe for V. Lilianna, being a huge Wizards of Waverly Place fan LOVED Alex and was pushing for Harper for V..haha.

5 comments:

Megan, aka LadyofMoonlight said...

We had second thoughts about changing Paxton's name from Tariku to Paxton. We were sitting in Ethiopia looking at our little boy, almost 2 years old, and worried that we'd made the wrong decision. What we found, though, was that the time he was in the orphanage was so traumatic to him that for the first year he didn't want ANY reminders of it, including his name! Even saying "Tariku" would cause him to break down in tears. More recently he's been very proud of his names, happily going by either Paxton or Tariku whenever he feels like. We've told him that it's his choice and he is legally Paxton Tariku so whichever name he chooses to go by, we'll honor it. I don't know what he'll pick in the future, but I think this was actually the best choice for all of us. I've also met many older kids who asked for a name change and were more than happy to use their new American names. It becomes easier to call them by their new names once they're home and starting to adjust. Seriously, after a week of calling P "Tari" I did not think I'd be able to switch to Paxton. Just seemed unnatural! But once we were home and saw him in a new environment with his personality truly unfolding... well, then it was much easier :)

Michelle said...

We brought Zeb home at 8 months and it was hard to change from calling him Almaz to Zeb too. Thanks for the affirmation...name changing, especially older kids, is one of those things that I am always afraid of the adoption police criticizing me for!

Shannon said...

Love the names! Are you keeping their given names as middle names? We've not opted to change names, but in your situation, with B asking for a new name - I think it's great!

Tapsalteerie said...

Love the names... both the old and new! I think when the child chooses to make the change it is easier... my bf in elementary school was adopted as an older child from Colombia. Her name was very pretty (Luz-Dary) but she got tired of people calling her "Loose" instead of "looz" so she changed her name... to Angela... it still cracks me up... I thought she'd go for Lucy... nope... Angela.

Cindy LaJoy said...

I think you showed great wisdom in movingh forward with new names. They are old enough to know what they want, and that distancing is important emotionally if they desire it. Kenny definitely wanted his changed, the girls didn't care at all...we let the kids lead on it. It is THEIR life and their old life they are leaving behind. Respecting that is important...good job!

Karyn Purvis Insights and Gifts - sharing power