Saturday, May 15, 2010

Am I in the running for world's suckiest mom?

Today was Lilianna's going away party at build a bear workshop. The party was great...our neighbors and 2 people from Lilianna's class came...to date the best turnout we have had in Alabama...go us! the party really was great..the boy's behaved and everyone had fun. Afterwards, everyone went to the food court and we had a cookie cake and everyone rode the carousel. Then we came home and Zeb lost it once we got home....he was sooo close and it was a miracle he made it home before the explosion of non-sensical over-tired crying.

After an emergency nap we went to a party across the street with jumping castles, balloons, etc. One of lilianna's friends from school who was at the party came over to spend the night.

For those who might not know...this is Lilianna's first sleep over. These already exhausted kids did fine until about 1030 when the overexhaustedness started leading to a bad choice marathon of screaming ball throwing in the house accompanied by trying to climb up and down things that didn't have enough room for a child to fit through. There was accidental running into things and we were getting dangerously close to spiralling into a cry a thon with each additional event.

How many times is a mom supposed to tell 6year olds to be quiet so they don't wake up babies before she explodes and threatens to end the sleepover and call the sweet guest's mother? Needless to say....the 6 year olds are now asleep..safe and sound in beds and I will no longer ever be confused with a cool mom.

7 comments:

Tapsalteerie said...

I discovered during the last sleep over that we had (my niece and nephews came sans parents for a whole week) that the cool-factor becomes less important when sleep distruption comes into play!

As my M once said, "I can't be your friend all the time... sometimes I have to be the parent!!"

Michelle said...

This morning the girls seem to have forgotten how the hammer came down last night! Everyone was happy running around and eating toast.
Lilianna's friend went home and I hualed the kids off to church where I dumped them...I mean lovingly dropped them off in thier sunday school classes for both services...and I chilled out in the cafe. I should have packed my french vanilla creamer with my computer!

The Great Detective said...

Oh my gosh! We had a sleepover this weekend too for Natalie (age 5). I was totally not prepared for all the giggling and blatant disregard of the rules for hours and hours. Plus, I had to get up and work at 6:30am the next morning. No fun. I think that she should be at least 8 prior to the next one.

The Great Detective said...

This is Ryan, by the way. I have no idea why my user name is "The Great Detective".

Michelle said...

I agree 8yo is better! We were finding broken things in our playroom for days after the sleepover! It was just two little 6yo girls! Yikes!

Michelle said...

ryan...i was writing the last comment thinking...who in the world is the great detective?...then I read your second post...I clearly am NOT a great detective!

Tapsalteerie said...

the breakage doesn't get better.. trust me... if anything it gets worse. And notoriously it's my niece who is bigger (she's nearly 11) that tries to play with kiddie toys and ends up breaking them. This last time she messed with MY toys and managed to scratch the side of my car (the Land Rover no less) in 7 places with her bicycle... I've threaten to garner her allowance... and I'm still soooo very mad about it particularly since I told her not to ride by the cars multiple times! Grrrrr!!!!

Karyn Purvis Insights and Gifts - sharing power