Thursday, October 21, 2010

$13 billion

I don't know if any of you watched the video I posted at the top of my blog. It is great. I have seen lots of moving videos designed to educate and impassion viewers about orphan care. This one is so spectacular because it really address the last few words of James 1:27....Religion that God our father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

OK....American Christians spend $11 billion on coffee and $21 billion on soda pop when it would take $13 billion to feed the starving people in resource poor areas of the world. I personally don't spend $21 billion on soda...but I am sitting here drinking a diet Dr Pepper and we have an entire refrigerator devoted to soda and capri sun. Since there is no Starbucks in Pikeville...I have dropped out of the big coffee spending zone.

I think it is safe to say that I have not successfully kept myself from being polluted by the world. But change starts with realizing there needs to be change in your life...in my life.

I LOVE giving money away. Most people don't love it the way I love it. I keep trying to tell Keith that my spiritual gift is giving away money...he keeps trying to tell me that my spiritual gift is saving money and doing laundry...haha..not really....although I do fold a mean fitted sheet.

I am digressing...my point is that even when we are impassioned about orphan care and have our eyes and hearts open to the plight of so many hungry, hurt, exploited children in the world...we forget the part about keeping oneself free from being polluted by the world.

I am going to work on that. What do you think?

2 comments:

The Stevens said...

thats my passion too, thats why i gave up so much to be able to gain more to give more........i was talking to some people that work with orphans over in China and asked what is it that they really need to help them, they said "GET THEM A FAMILY"..........Hopefully one day i will have enough resources to help these children get out of these orphanages....orphanages are not the answer...........have fun on your trip will be praying!!

Michelle said...

Thank you for prayers...we are excited and so nervous.

Karyn Purvis Insights and Gifts - sharing power