Sunday, October 24, 2010

The trip

We left the house an hour this look of displeasure...hahaha. We always get stressed out when we are leaving the country ...usually because we are running late! Thankfully that look didn't last too long! We got the Charleston, West Virginia airport way too early. We went to Target first and got some hoodies for the girls so they wouldn't be cold when we got there. We also got Alex a booster seat and a couple of odds and ends. Then we decided to head to the airport because we didn't know where we were going and didn't know how difficult the airport would be.

let me tell you what...the airport was not difficult to find or difficult to get through. We were there WAYYY too early!

Our flight to Washington DC was on a propeller plane that was sooo loud it gave me a headache and I get a smidge sick to my stomach from it. The airplane parked at what can only be described as a bus stop. It looked exactly like a bus stop. We booked it into the airport and had to go up and down about 20 escalators (I am not really exagerating here) and ride a subway thing to get to our terminal and we got there just as they were starting to board - so we checked in and then Keith ran to get a sanwhich and made it back to the line when they were on seating section 5 (we were 3) so it was an amazing airport sandwhich turn around!

The flight was pretty good. I sat next to a woman from California who was headed to Nairobi to help set up a farm for an orphanage - she was pretty interestig but I learned way more about her than I usually like to learn about people flying next to me. I enjoyed our conversation - but I am not really an airplane conversationalist! The whole in flight movie situation on united kind of sucks. They have channels that have like 2 movies and acouple of tv shows that just keep looping. I prefer the free payper view style movies where you get to choose what you watch and when you start it.

We arrived around noon and all of our luggage made it! Yeah! Our hotel van didn't though - so we had to take a taxi. No big deal...just 15 cedi's we couldn't use at Simple Brothers! Which is exactly where we went for lunch after we got to the hotel. It was delicious. We had taken pictures last time we were hear but I forgot to bring them today. So when we eat there tomorrow for lunch i will bring them their pictures.

Then it was off to Beacon House

We had a great visit. We took them 8 solar lanterns, 2 hand crank washing machines and flashlight and some diaper covers, baby formula and books that some really great people had donated. We picked up the visa paperwork, passports with visa's and spent some time hanging out with our babies.
Alex took a bunch of pictures while we were there of kids and things around the house. We will take a lot more pictures tomorrow. We head back there at 10am.


Mala said...

I'm so happy for you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Cindy said...


TheHappyNeills said...

so good to see you with your daughters!!!!

Jackie said...

Wonderful news to read with my morning coffee. Yayy for all of you!

Shannon said...

YEAH! So glad you made it safely. How secure and comfy Zoe looks! Can't wait to see them at home!

Allison said...

So happy you arrived safely. Can't wait to watch the rest of your journey. Yahoo!!

Karyn Purvis Insights and Gifts - sharing power