Sunday, November 21, 2010

awkward Usborne moment..

Day 2 of homeschooling Alex and we whip out the Usborne People of the World book for page 8-9 or something like that. The first sentence is People from Asia are mongoloid and the dark skin people of Africa are negroes. UM...I don't use those words...I don't want my children to use those words and I am pretty sure I am offended by those particular labels - i certainly don't want my children called either of those. I read in my head way faster than i read out loud so i did some quick editing. Guess I need to do some reading ahead and make sure I really approve of all of the parts of the books!

Am I crazy or does anyone else take exception to those terms?

3 comments:

A. Gillispie said...

I thought these were the scientific name for these "type" of humans, along with whatever the name is for white people (cauc-whatever). But yeah--not kosher for today's world.

Michelle said...

I hadn't seen scientific names for races before...and it was caucasoid. I am pretty sure I don't want to be called that either! haha.

Hilary Marquis said...

I remember "editing" that history book as well...core 1 right? I don't think I've come up against anything else like that since.

Karyn Purvis Insights and Gifts - sharing power