Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas

I should have posted a couple of days ago...but I haven't downloaded pictures...how unlike me...I know. I still haven't downloaded pictures but we all know how long that can take! haha.

Christmas was surprisingly orderly and exhausting. On Christmas eve we watched some of the Rankin and Bass classics and had hot chocolate...old fashioned milk and Hershey's heated up in a pan with marshmallows and whip cream. The kids went to bed around 8...except O of course...O and his dad stayed up playing in his room until 10pm when I finally had to put an end to that. So then there was about 7 hours of putting things together and wrapping the last of the presents. We watched Holiday Inn and WHite CHristmas...Holiday inn is my favorite...although I enjoyed WHite CHristmas more this year than in the past...I must admit.

Around 5am when we were finally finishing putting things together and started laying things out...we saw Alex peaking through her window into the Pheonix room where the Christmas stuff was. We had told all of the kids to stay in bed and not look out of their rooms..I know it is hard for kids to do that...but she had to climb up on top of an armoir that is in front of the glass door from the girls room to the Phoenix room...on top of a 7 foot armoir to look out a window. UGGGG!!!!

We finally got to bed around 530 and my parents got here at 7 to open presents..I was hoping to sleep in a little bit longer...but Keith was ready to go...so up we got and brought kids down. We headed out to the phoenix room and all the kids found their Santa presents (they each got 2 unwrapped santa gifts that were set up waiting for them). They played with their Santa gifts while my mom and I made breakfast and Keith started a fire.

After breakfast, we all went to the tree and everyone picked out one gift and we took them back to the fireplace in the adjacent room and took turns opening gifts. After everyone was done with that gift we went back and got another. We took a diaper changing break and Keith took toys out of boxes for kids. It was remarkable organized....way less pandemonium than Christmas 2 years ago when we had Lilianna, O, Zeb and Baby..baby Ben.

I got a super killer book display stand for my dream children's reading room from Santa...now I just have to get that room rolling...I got Sattelite radio for the house and my car...yeah...now I can listen to some new Contemporary Christian music...I love the songs on my ipod..but I was getting a little tired of the same songs. I can't get the local Christian Channel at our house or in the car. In continuation of a long standing tradition...Keith and I got each other the same DVD...Caprica...I can't believe that show got cancelled...it was a good show.

Alex's favorite present was a little doll that has a bottle, eyes that close and open and it makes sounds like gaga goo and waaaaa. It is a classic and she loves it.

Lilianna's favorite was Squinqies and the nintendo ds game mama's cookin.

Zeb's favorite was his bike ( a car's bike) or any present that belonged to any of the other kids. Every 10 minutes he was bringing someone else's gift to us and saying "will you open this for me"...ummm No Zeb it's not yours.

Zoe's favorite gift is a plate of plastic vegetables that you can cut in half with a plastic knife.

Ben's favorite gift is a buzz lightyear. Although he also got a Larry Boy hat that looks like the top of larry boy's head with super suction ears...and that is MY FAVORITE gift Ben got. He is so funny wearing it singing the Larry Boy heavy metal song by SHux. haha

I am not sure what O's favorite gift was...once they are all preteen...it is probably hard to tell! haha. Keith says it was a game...4 way chess.

Keith's favorite gift was the Pacific DVD ...of course I just turned and asked him what his favorite gift was so he kind of had to tell me it was one of the ones I got him! haha.

After we finished opening gifts, I started the turkey...13.8 lbs of deliciousness. I made stuffing this year for the first time too. After I put the turkey in....I took a nap! I was TIRED. We ate around 330 and it was delish. I have about one more leftover meal left and I am sneaking it work tomorrow for my lunch. I made some really delicious gravy too...yummmmm.

Christmas is really a haze of exhaustion...as it probably should be. We still haven't found places to put all of the new toys...so our phoenix room and the central living room with the fireplace is still a disaster zone. I am hoping to have caught up enough on my sleep to actually clean up the house for the new year.

On SUnday, Keith took Lilianna and O to Birmingham...O home and Lilianna to meet her bio dad. The snow kept him from making it home SUnday night. I was up all night with 2 sick little boys. My red chocolate cake was delicious going down...but a little disgusting regurgitated on Zeb's pillow! It was also the night our washing maching died....so I threw puke clothes and bedding in there and the washer didn't spin out the water....gross.

This must be the longest post ever....that was our CHristmas. Do I feel exhausted, overwhelmed by toys and dirty clothes...yes....but I feel really blessed to have my sweet family especially my mom and dad here to share all this fun stuff with us....and I am super blessed to have all that we have.

Now I am going to finish the dinner dishes and try to catch up on some more sleep! I am still soooo exhausted!

1 comment:

A. Gillispie said...

It never ceases to amaze me how much I always identify with your posts. It's uncanny! We do unwrapped "Santa" gifts too (although this year the gifts were in big felt bags, ironically). Our living area is also the central play area right now because I don't want the kids to take their things upstairs until we have cleaned out and organized all of the rooms!

Karyn Purvis Insights and Gifts - sharing power