Saturday, February 19, 2011

Kyrgyzstan stuff

So, I finally got off my lazy butt and scheduled an adoption playgroup/feast of nations and states potluck. This means, of course, that I am going to have to actually cook a Kyrgyz dish. Yes I have talked about it (mostly in my post placement reports!) but the only thing I have successfully cooked has been glorified funnel cakes....yumm.

So I am in need of some recipes. I have a couple of recipes for things...but I don't have any pictures and the recipes have very little guidance...and frankly don't sound that appealing!

So to all those Kyrgyz loving cooks....please email me some recipes! HELP!!!!!!

In other Kyrgyzstan related news...The Wright family is coming to visit! I am so excited. I baked petit fours today (they are currently freezing in the freezer so I can cut them and pour my fondant tomorrow). Excitement = baking around here...haha. Seriously, we are having a dessert/coffee and short program at my church Monday night and they are staying with us that night.

As a partially related aside, I just LOVE my church family here. I scheduled this last minute event and 2 people emailed me and asked what they could do to help. At my last church (which I also really liked) I would be lucky if anyone even showed up for the event! Destinations is a church full of DOERS! LOVE IT!

I am really excited to meet John, he is one of the first online Kyrgyzstan friends I will have met in person. Although I am super excited about the Memorial weekend gathering with Kyrgyz Children's Future etc. Of course, I may also persuade Shannon and her family to come visit someday...our Ms Pacman machine is calling her husband's name...haha!

4 comments:

Shannon said...

LAGMAN!! I make it for all of my adoption-related events and it is always a huge hit, even with the kids. It is super yummy and your house will smell good for like a week. I'll send you the recipe soon (email me if I forget). Say "hi" to John for us!!

TheHappyNeills said...

Give John and Julie a great big hug from me and my parents!!!! (Kendra/Rick, Pam/Vail)

Jackie said...

Oh, please share some recipes with me when you have a chance.

How wonderful that you are meeting John and company and able to partake in this Kyrgyz event. ENJOY :)

Dianne said...

I made some plov (with chicken instead of lamb) for the international festival at Julia's school. I thought it was a bit bland, but everyone seemed to like it. I also made some Bal tea and it was yummy. I'll email you those.

Karyn Purvis Insights and Gifts - sharing power