Saturday, October 29, 2011

where have i been?

I don't think I have ever gone this long without a post. I have no excuse..except I have been really busy. Yes, I know I have been busy before...when I think about how busy I have been in the last 10 years..it is kind of funny because I am really comparably not that busy!

Having a baby...baby is really exhausting. It is pretty hard to get anything done. I had forgotten how exhausting that is! Violet is starting to sleep better and is able to entertain herself a little bit with her little activity matt so when she is kicking and cooing away on the matt I can get some work done around the house. Amazingly, we are starting to actually feel moved in up in this big old house. It still needs a lot of work, but we are keeping most of it clean and we are slowly shortening the list of areas that need to be REALLY CLEANED out...you know, closets and rooms that have just had stuff shoved in them for the last 18 months!

Lilianna's homeschool is going really well. Since we have switched to a full year schedule and are not using the icademy...but just an a la cart K12 sprinkled with logic, bible, and some super cool enrichment things from the super cool critical thinking company (which I totally, totally love!!!!!) we have really gotten into our groove. I am also scheduling a day off of work every 2 weeks to just workshop some subjects with LIlianna. It is hard to set up a lot of the science projects and get it done with our schedule of taking care of so many kids at one time..so Art and Science have become "workshops" where we just sit down and work all day on one subject and get a bunch done at one time. That is working out really well for us.

We started keeping the 3 year olds home all day about 3 weeks ago...I think that has been the hardest part of the last month. Keith is super awesome though. It was a really had decision to make because we LOVED our daycare. They did a ton of really great art projects and were really focussed on education and thinking skills..but we had to get super serious about saving money and day care had to go. I think it is going to be better for Zoe and Ben to stay home. Benjamin is so ridiculously cute he was running the show at daycare and getting away with just about anything so being home is helping him build character...ie..get used to not getting his way! haha. Zoe is being pushed to talk more at home and I can already tell that her speech is improving in the last 3 weeks. I think they didn't push her to talk at school quite as much as we push at home.

Zeb is still at Wesley Christian in 4K and he is doing really well. He likes school a lot and loves to come home and do homework. I love to see him excited about it.

Alex has been a trouble maker in the last couple of months..she is probably one of the main reasons I haven't posted anything. It is hard to figure out how much of my life I want on the internet...really. I started this blog and I live my life as an open book. I don't really believe in keeping any secrets because it is stressfull to have secrets really! I am just too lazy to try to be secretive! haha. Alex has been causing trouble for the rest of the family and for herself both at home and at school so that has been difficult to deal with. One of the things we worried about when we started Alex in public school was that she would be able to manipulate and fool teachers into believing she was more scholastically advanced than she is and that she would get away with lying, stealing and avoiding homework. Well...she has been busted and the school has her number now to coin a phrase. It was not pleasant to get to that point, but I think now that we are there...the resources at school are becoming more apppropriate for her. She is NOT at a fourth grade level for any subject and they have finally realized that. Without going into detail, she is now getting the amount of supervision at school that is more appropriate for her and we have a way to communicate to her teachers. Oh the stories I could tell but I just feel like I shouldn't. Needless to say...it has been an interesting couple of months with her. I am really hopefull that things will calm down now with her.

Things are heating up with Aaron's adopting and Kyrgyzstan adoptions in general. We sent in our I600A last week and pretty soon we will send in our I600 and be totally ready when things start moving. It seems weird to think that after all of this time (3 years) that we might actually be able to bring him home. Weird. I kind of think a lot of the issues we have been having for the last 2 months...money, work, Alex, etc..have been the enemy trying to beat us down to back out of Aaron's adoption. I know I was really questioning whether or not we could complete it...whether we could find the money, whether we really could expand our family one more time...we are 2 bigger than Keith and I had decided on when we got married. We were worried whether we could logistically get to Kyrgyzstan for the time we need to both be there. I think as we persevered though, things are falling into place. As much as Keith and I want to travel at the same time...we are just going to have to travel separately for our bonding period and then only one of us will travel to pick him up. We just don't have anyone to watch all of the kids....what crazy person would do that!? HAHA. I was so relieved that we will have that option..although it totally sucks to not be able to travel with Keith. Let's face it, adoption travel is the only time Keith and I get to work on our marriage with some alone time!

I think I hit everyone in this update. we went down to birmingham last weekend and stayed at the KOA down there, went to a pumpkin patch at the train museum and hit the mall. It was really fun. It was the first time Alex saw a real mall and she was in love! it was worth the whole trip. She kept saying...when I am a teenager can you bring me back here? so funny. I have a couple of pictures to post of that trip and of a super cool book shelf we bought from the school supply store in chattanooga on the way back. I am going to be better about updating!

1 comment:

Ryan the Girl said...

Yay! Thanks for the new post. I can only imagine how busy and exhausted you are right now. I'm barely getting by with my full-time job and one child.

Karyn Purvis Insights and Gifts - sharing power