Monday, June 25, 2012

Common adoption scenarios

I don't have cable tv so I don't really watch a lot of tv. In the last month I have spent a lot of time in hotels so I have been lucky(?) enough to watch a couple of episodes of the Gene Simmons family jewels show. In this season, his wife wants to adopt and he and their grown children are dead set against it.
It is interesting to see her working to convince them. I think it is a common scenario that the wife feels called to adopt and the husband is hesitant to downright opposed. It has been described in a lot of adoption publications as due to the husband worrying about finances...supporting another child affording the adoption etc. This explanation can't possibly explain gene Simmons hesitation.
Why are the adult children against it? I can't figure it out except that they are self centered and just don't want to share their parents. I truly can't understand what is going on there!

I guess what I am trying to say is the "reluctant" parent is not always just a function of financial worry like I have previously assumed. I have a hard time figuring out why all families wouldn't want as many kids as we have! They just don't know what they are missing! Or is it that I am in a sleep deprive delirium!

No comments:

Karyn Purvis Insights and Gifts - sharing power