Thursday, August 9, 2012

Chick Fil A .. a post script

I really don't know what the whole deal with Chick Fil A and their support of whatever goups some other group says is hatefull...I am not NBC with a fact checker.  When I was sitting in the car on Monday for 8 hours driving down here I had a lot of time to think about it.

The thing that struck me during that time was not about the current controversy.  It was the simple fact that there are people in this world that live their faith everyday, in every part of their lives.
They are not afraid that they might alienate perfectly good chicken eating customers.  They are not afraid that someone they barely know who follows their blog might be confrontational in the comments section about their faith. 

It is easy to talk about Jesus Christ and what a great gig it is to have the Holy Spirit whispering in your ear and heart when you are talking to other people that have met this cat, Jesus.  When 95% of your life has been spent in a liberal setting calling organized religion the "opiate for the masses" you appreciate different things.  My testimony, my moment when I jumped in with my whole self is not anywhere in this blog.  You know why?  Fear and pride.

I was afraid of being judged by the non-Christians I had become friends with and who I am related to.  I had spent so long not being a Christian that I was also a little prideful...I am not one who likes to admit I was wrong...I am sure there are lots of people who might find this hard to believe! haha.

One of the things I love about being a Christian is that we are all flawed, broken, busted up wrecks and that is OK.  I am a work in progress and I learned from the Chick Fil A scandal that I am going to be a Christian with a voice.  I love listening to contemporary Christian songs and watching sermons because they are all sharing with me some perspective on the human condition and their take on the coolest owner's manual ever written - the Bible.

So my post script is that I really can't debate all of the intricacies of what some organization has been espousing for the last 30 years.   That wasn't the crux of my post on Chick Fil A, my point was that it is easy to be judgmental, twist words, etc.  When the big picture for me was that a business owner has the nerve and conviction to take heat for his beliefs and I was too chicken to even post that I am a Christ Follower on my blog.   

No comments:

Karyn Purvis Insights and Gifts - sharing power