Saturday, December 21, 2013

Tale of brave Ulysses....

I am not sure how well i will explain the way this little boy changed my perspective. On Zeb's birthday, I saw a post on an advocacy site for the little boy up in this picture. It broke my heart...i think it broke a lot of people's hearts. I couldn't get his little face out of mind...especially his smile and joy in a video of him walking. I started imagining him, who he was, what his personality was, what his future could be. Then I started thinking about his needs..what his worst case scenario needs might be and for the first time ever in my life....those kind of needs seemed like no big deal. Literally, I imagined myself caring for this guy in the worst case scenario of his special needs and it was not a big deal. I am a pragmatist and a worst scenario planning type of person. The more amazing part of this story is that while I spent days praying about this and imagining being mom to this little boy....I couldn't even begin to find the words to talk to Keith about it. I knew that there was nothing I could say that could even begin to convey all of what I was feeling...not a thing. Then one night about 6 days after I saw his picture...it just came pouring out. Then another amazing thing happened - Keith asked "What do we have to do next?" By the time I sent an email to our agency, Ulysses' file was under serious consideration by another family. I figured that if someone was seriously considering him...I must have been mistaken. Yet somehow, I couldn't get the idea out of my head that he was going to be our son...it just seemed too real. Three days later, our agency called and asked us if we were still interested. I knew it. We recieved our PA yesterday for Ulysses and our dossier is sitting at the Assistant Stork waiting to get sealed and back to us. We have to wait for our I800A approval to be ammended but hopefully that won't take too long. Our homestudy ammendment reached the USCIS the same day our initial I800A approval was issued....SNAP! Our officer seems very responsive and had us send her an overnight envelope so she could overnight the ammended I800A approval when she gets all the pieces (which we overnighted on Tuesday)! He turns 9 at the end of March and I know there is no real chance of having him home by his birthday, but it would be great to have him home before the onslaught of summer birthdays for the kids we already have! When we started this adoption, our plan was as young as possible with as minor a need as possible...we were thinking a 1 yo boy with a limb difference or cleft lip/palate. Isn't it funny how things turn out! I couldn't be more excited. We are getting ready to send a care package on monday...ok now I couldn't be more excited!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Love you all! Is there a story behind the name??

Michelle said...

We picked out that name randomly months ago...well at least Keith picked it out and I agreed only if I could nickname him Ace. Anyway, when we were able to accept Ulysses referral officially, we initially were going to use the name that the advocacy site used to identify him...but then we thought better of it. So we were trying to find names that phonetically were similar to his name and low and behold...Ulysses fit the bill. Keith is thrilled and Lily keeps calling him Euphrates...oh well!

Karyn Purvis Insights and Gifts - sharing power