Friday, June 13, 2014

Trying to relax

I have spent a lot of time researching and thinking about a Home Management Notebook...which feeds into my list-making control freakery, I know! One of the things I have been thinking about is developing a mission statement for my home. Then creating clear and concise steps for achieving that goal. I have the 2 slowin it down steps that I am constantly reminding myself but in a few weeks I will add at least one more step to work on acheiving my goal of making my home all abou quality, relationship building time management.

Today was a pretty good day in that respect. I didn't get my newly minted requirement of 6 hours of sleep nightly, but I came close with 5 hours. I got home around 815 and half the kids were up. We had cereal and breif clean up time because the kids did a great job of picking up before bed last night. Keith took 3 kids to the store with him and I paired off the others for some schoolwork. Zeb, Zoe, Violet and Ulysses worked on letter flashcards and then watched a very rousing Angelina Ballerina and learned about what kids do when Mommies have got to take a shower...babysitting by amazon prime.

I started cleaning the schoolroom for this year's terminal clean...yeah! There are a few things that lily still needs to finish off, but we are virtually done with our school year. It is a good thing because I am spent! I am excited about next year, but I am also excited about just relaxing for a while and letting kids be kids. My guys just love running around outside and having adventures. We were hoping to get the teepee put up and have some camping out fun, but that hasn't happened yet. I think things around the house will chill out in the next couple of weeks and we will be able to spend some time and energy on making a fun event like that a reality.

keith got home and the big girls decided to make lunch...so Lilyl and Alex made grilled cheese sandwiches that Zeb swore were the best grilled cheese sandwiches ever. After lunch we let the kids have some digital time with their kindles and watched the Fox and the Hound. around 3pm we decided to take the kids to the pool for the first time of the season. I admit...I totally snuck out to the pool around 230 and swam all by myself for about 30 minutes. It was so nice that I decided to let the kids in on the fun! Well, not all the kids could get in the water....lets break it down:

O - swimming
Lily - swimming
Alex - swimming
Zeb - swimming
Ben - got pretty close to swimming without his floatees...I think he will finally be there by the end of the summer or sometime this summer
Zoe - stood on the stairs
Violet - she was jumping on the stairs and swimming with us
Han - not a swimmer
Ulysses - not able to submerge his tummy right now so sat on the side and kicked water at everyone else!

When everyone got in the pool, I gesticulated wildly to Han to stay in the shallow in by the stairs. Twice he tride to swim out with the big kids within the first like 3 minutes in the pool...I kept catching him and motioning for him to wait. I figured he had no idea how to swim. Although he did tell our Guangzhou guide that he knew how to swim. After me stopping him twice from walking out of the shallow end..he got by me whil I was getting Violet into the pool. He dropped like a rock when he got the deep end and keith had the opportunity to impress me with his BSA certified lifeguarding skills. Yes...my husband is pretty hot. After that he mimed to us in a jovial way that he wasn't going to try to swim anymore today. He is such a sweetheart. He didn't get all self-consious or defensive about it...he just laughed it off and gained some respect for the water. I was very impressed with his attitude and reaction to the entire ordeal. I probably
would have been happier if he had just stayed in the shallow end until a grown up had made it into the water...but it was ok. We didn't stay in long...about 20 minutes and then it started to rain.

We had some leftovers for dinner and I am again..surprised by the sheer quantity of food we went through for dinner. I am going to have to come up with some amazing kind of meal plan for July...maybe it will come to me in a dream! Althoug, I did have an idea to have a tab in my Household Management Binder labeld meals and have 3-4 monthly calendars with meals populated onto the days and have all of my recipes behind the calendar and a shopping list for each month. I don't think my kids need too much variety in their diets do they? Trust me, they are only getting the same 12-15 meals over and over again anyway!

Today was a good day.

I didn't buy anything personally, but I did have my friend who is cleaning my house for me come and straighten up. I know it is counter to my step 1 don't spend money...but I hope she decided to do this full time and I will beg her to come more than once a week! haha!

We had dinner together, but there was a lot of up and down for my because our dinner was pulled pork sandwhiches and pork taceos so I felt tlike I spent more time in the kitchen making meals instead of sitting on my butt enjoying the company of my kids. Everyone's favorite part of the day was swimming...except sweet Alex who said her favorite part of the day was helping Han with the English Rosetta stone. How sweet is that! Plus, I think Alex would really benefit from further developing her English skills and she will get that as she "helps" Han!

My favorite part of the day was swimming too I think. Actually, I think the favorite part of my day is about to happen....bedtime! hahaha!

No comments:

Karyn Purvis Insights and Gifts - sharing power